Follow the adventures of a sad sad girl who graduated too soon and is suffering from nerd withdrawals. Also, she decided that having her
friends piece together what she's doing from sporadic and wildly dispersed postcards isn't going to work.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

A definite "my life rocks" day

It started with as a gloriously sunny morning.  I go to Chinatown with the grandparents for some dim sum (mmm).  I am quickly becoming an obsessive fan of rice and those little pork things with the bones inside. It's called 排骨, or "pai gu." I don't know the tone but it is worth whatever you gotta do to order it.    

I'm ridiculously delicious! 
The restaurant is conveniently located at the bus transfer point to get to the university, so after eating my fill, I bounced and headed off to lab. Because I'm currently volunteering in three different labs, it's hard to find time to do soil stuff that takes two days (like figuring out soil moisture content). As a result, I usually stick whatever I need into the oven Friday, and pop in on Saturday. I'm doing all I can to make good use of my $60 monthly bus pass (so expensive! I really should start lying and just say I'm a high school student. But I'm a die hard supporter of public transportation. Damn you morals...). 



Remember how in Germany (for those who...went to Germany with me, haha!) the europass or whatever was only like, 40 euros a month! And you got the trains and stuff, and could cross into different counties. Those were the days. =]


Down memory lane: 
Kristian and I would just hop on random trains when we'd get tired of walking around Freiburg.  This one time we ended up at Schluchsee lake!  

It's kind of gorgeous.  I know these aren't Hawaii pics but I get nostalgic!


Mmm speaking of pork, this is also delicious.  I think we got pork steak?  I ordered with limited German knowledge.



Books for next week!
Anyways, nothing went horrifically wrong in lab, which is good.  My initial plan at campus was to go to the library afterwards and read this one book, but apparently the university library closes on a Saturday!  Where would the students study??  So I ended up going to the Hawaii State Library.  It's gorgeous. There's a little courtyard in the middle, and shaded areas to read book.

The ultimate bibliophile in tropical areas' heaven.  

It ended up being an excellent visit since I needed to grab some reading material for my trip to California.

Speaking of books, here's a pleasant surprise that arrived today:


I left the book in a grad student's car in North Carolina.  But now I got it back before the due date!  Whew!  THANKS WAKE FOREST. 


And holy shoot, look what I else I got for my birthday?  (Yea, a non late library book is an excellent bday present.)

!!!  It's so tiny!  Haha.  Reminds me of a certain song!
"I will be your father figure
put your tiny hands in mind
na na na na preacher preacher
something something...da da da."



Despite having the song on repeat, I still have no idea what George Michael is saying. 

Hopefully with this, I'll be inspired to run more.  I feel like I'm obligated to do some of the famous running events, just because I'm in Hawaii.

Yay!  My cousin and I are 7 years + 4 days apart.  Haha. 
And Jay does not disappoint this year:

x22!  Thanks little bro!

And lastly, 
Mahalo everyone for the birthday wishes! <3  I'm going to make this year rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment