Follow the adventures of a sad sad girl who graduated too soon and is suffering from nerd withdrawals. Also, she decided that having her
friends piece together what she's doing from sporadic and wildly dispersed postcards isn't going to work.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

I'm in Hawaii.

In case people don't know. Haha.  I kept trying to make a post about this, but then I would get distracted by way cooler events like tsunamis and receiving new packages.

But yes.  After I graduated in December, I decided it was way too cold in California, packed a carry on worth of clothes and books, and bought a one way ticket to Oahu.  I was not going to leave until I got into a grad school with an advisor I liked.

Good bye cold world! HAHA. 


Luckily for me I got into grad schools, like all of my prospective advisors, and picked one that would let me work in Hawaii (UCSB).  It's going to be awesome.

I'm thinking about going back to Davis by graduation.  People from semester schools, message me if you're going to graduate!  I want to see y'all graduate.  I'll (most likely, still need to work it out with my advisor) be taking SSC 205 - the soil science field course, SoCal version. So expect me to be back in Davis in the summer!  And I hope people are still there when I'm there..haha.


So what am I doing here in the meantime?


Pretty much...hanging out.  Haha.  I'm volunteering at the University of Hawaii Manoa.  The people there are super nice and I'm learning a lot.  Currently I'm working on three different projects.  There's a wildlife lab there, and I'm working on making a cat diet database.  Lots of reading the literature, which is actually kind of fun.  It's nice to have time allotted where I have to sit down and just read.  And I pretty much hate felis catus now.  There's also a soils lab where I help out on various projects. Hawaiian soils is really different from mainland soil, so it's nice to get a feel of them before starting my PhD project. And then there's a fire ecology project I'm helping a grad student on.


Here's one of the views of the field site: 






So pretty!  I also try to attend seminars, but I always hear of them after the fact.  Boo.  Apparently Holly Doremus was here a couple of days ago!  Drats!


1 comment:

  1. my hero, tanster. you are my absolute hero. traveling and exploring and everything! two-thirds of any power couple. i love you!

    ReplyDelete